Monday, January 10, 2011

Birthdays - I want LOTS of them :)

Not too many years ago I dreaded my birthday. I don't know why, I just did. I didn't want a fuss made about it and the only time I really celebrated was when family or friends initiated it.  Maybe that's not unusual - I don't know.  I've never dreaded aging either - didn't freak out or worry when I approached 30 or 35 and today as I turned 39 and realized I'm just one year from 40, I could only think "thank you, God!" and "bring on the birthdays!"

Today is my 39th birthday. My husband jokingly said "from here on out you are considered 39 and holding." I suppose a lot of people do that - celebrate 39 or 49 or whatever over and over and stop revealing their age to others whereas some likely don't care. 

Now that I'm a cancer survivor, I want lots and lots and lots of birthdays. I want to celebrate and cherish each one. I want to age! I am excited to turn 40, 45, 50, 55, etc. I will be thrilled to turn 60, 70, 80, even 90.  I pray that the Lord's plan for me includes being here to reach those birthdays so that I may witness my son's birthdays here on earth. 

My love is away working but last night I enjoyed dinner with a dear friend and fellow sister warrior survivor, Tira. We enjoyed sangria and dessert too! My awesome friend, Susan, watched Cooper for a few hours so that I could go out - thank you, Susan!!! 

Today I celebrated by waking up and deciding to take an unplanned vacation day. I don't usually do that so I didn't think to do it ahead of time. But thankfully I work for an awesome employer and team that is supportive and flexible so I was able to do it. Although I hadn't planned to do it, I did have some quiet time over the weekend during which I decided to do some work that normally I would have done today so what's great is that I'm not even behind as I return to work tomorrow. However, if I was that would have been OK too because frankly my priorities are finally in order now. Truth be told, I still did some work today - a little bit of email and participated in a conference call. But I also let Cooper sleep in, played with him at daycare when I dropped him off instead of rushing out, caught up with some friends online, and had an awesome workout at the gym. After picking up Cooper from daycare we headed out to meet my great friend Tara and her son for dinner.  I was flooded with kind and loving birthday wishes on my Facebook wall today.  So, it's been a wonderful day and I'm incredibly grateful for all the love that's been shown to me. I'm so blessed.

Thank you, Lord, for blessing me with another birthday! I welcome them and hope and pray to have many many many more.

Love,
Julie

No comments: