Friday, July 8, 2011

That shower was AMAZING

On my quest to allude my husband's understanding, I have stumped him once again with the proclamation that the shower I just took was better than a tropical vacation. No, really.  He still doesn't believe me.  I can't say I blame him since I'm the gal that loves camping and often pretends I'm camping at home by seeing how many days I can go without bathing. I'm not really gross, I'm just really busy LOL. It's not intentional, really. But, life happens and I have a 3 yr old and a spouse that's away most of the time and I work full time so my top 5 priorities don't include bathing. My apologies to those around me.

However, typically 3 days is my absolute limit. As in, on the third morning I can't stand the smell of my own self and just make sure a good scrubbing down occurs no matter what. I don't always wait till the third day - in fact, most of the time I shower every day (fear not, my colleagues LOL). Weekends, however....oh nevermind.

My point is this - after surgery I was not allowed to shower till those drains were out.  They finally came out yesterday, praise God!!  But, even though they were out, I had these gaping holes in my belly and my side that were screaming they needed till morning to plug up before being put under water.  So just now, I had the most AMAZING shower. I don't know how long I was in there but it's probably the longest shower I've ever taken.  When I shower usually I take like 5 minutes - I'm a mom! Get in, do your thing and get out and get going!  Today, not-so-fast!  I'm pretty sure I put that scrub puff to every millimeter of my body, scrubbing the grodiness and just loving every second of the water pounding on me. Oh, thank you Lord, for my big showerhead and organic body washes and hot water. Ahhhhhhhhh.

Oh, how long was it since my last shower, you ask?  10 days. Yeah, that's just gross. LOL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,
My name is Liz and I have been following your blog for a while now. I am so very happy that you are now in the N.E.D. category, Congratulations. You deserve to be happy and healthy much like everyone else deserves these things so I am very, truly happy that you got this news.
That said, since your blog is a great resource for someone going through cancer I wanted to reach out to you to see if you were interested in a new online social support network (that I am the community manager of!) called I Had Cancer. It is a new and free social support network focused on connecting people based on experiences with cancer so that they can easily communicate with one another and share information. I would love to tell you more if you are interested, so please let me know! Because I was so struck by your writing I would love to send you an early-access pass with extra invites for others you may know going through this journey.

Either way, thank you so much for your writing. Take care and best regards.
-Liz@ihadcancer.com
If anyone is interested in I Had Cancer please email me.

Natalie said...

Hi Julie,

So happy to hear you surgery was such a success! I hope you are fully healed by now and enjoying the final results :)

I'm also happy to learn about Liz's social support network in the previous post. Your posts are truly inspirational and such a great resource for others batting cancer. Through your blog you reach out to a number of people, and by sharing your experiences as part of our national movement of breast cancer survivors, you could be reaching out to millions of lives touched by cancer.

Please consider joining us and helping us better support women, both emotionally and socially, throughout their breast cancer journey.

http://www.breastcancerregistry.org.

Best of luck to you,
Natalie