Saturday, February 12, 2011

In the belly of the fish

It took being swallowed by a fish for Jonah to finally turn to God. I know what that feels like. It was in my darkest hour that I looked up and saw God's powerful light and became a reborn believer after spending years living the life of an agnostic. It was sudden but then that's because my eyes were opened to His miracles suddenly.  And,  I don't even mind that some may mumble under their breath or snicker (or even send me explicit communications saying so) about what they refer to as "a convenient conversion"; instead, I pray for them and ask God to show them the power and unconditional love and healing He has shown me. I pray that when they are sitting in the belly of the fish they look up and find refuge in the Lord.

I'm studying Jonah and the author of the study, Priscilla Shirer, says this:

"God's good at taking our messes, our leftovers, and doing something good with them. Parts of all of our lives we'd just as soon forget, yet in the hands of a Master, our mess can become the greatest miracle of all. He has a way of chopping, dicing, and reconfiguring the parts that we thought were of no use.  He's got a knack for pouring on His Spirit and sprinkling on a bit of grace and mercy. Then, voila! Fresh out of the oven of a trial or two, there's something delicious from your life that you never thought possible." - Priscilla Shirer, 'Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted'

So, as you sit in the belly of the fish (regardless of how you got there), trust in the Lord, the Master, call out to Him, and know that He has plans for you if you'll just get out of His way and let him work some magic.

May God bless you today!

Love,
Julie

2 comments:

Tonya Graham Jamois said...

So true, Julie! I was in a bible study last year when our family was going through some nasty stuff. I told the ladies all about it and they prayed for the situation. I'll never forget the woman praying for God to use what was intended by someone to be bad for the family to be used for the "good." (Think Joseph) And that is just what happened. I can't help but pray the same prayer for my situation with cancer....yes, it seems bad. But God, please use it for the overall good. Not just for me, but for everyone in my life and the world! Bless you!

Sweet Apron said...

Yes!!!!
I have a crazy story that is only made lovely by God's lavish grace.
Pray for you often, Julie.
Love,
Susan